Sunday, January 19, 2014

Adventures in Zumba Travels


Today I ventured up to Westbrook, Maine, to attend a 3pm Zumba class at Studio Fit Maine.  I hadn't planned on going; Sunday is usually my day to go swimming.  However, I was feeling a little cabin fever and welcomed the chance to go for a somewhat long drive. (It was a little over an hour which doesn't feel like a long drive compared to Los Angeles standards, but it was still a pretty day to tool around in the Prius).  Also, Courtney posted something on Facebook, and I thought that it would be fun to check it out.  Unfortunately, my Portland-based exercise crew was either away doing other things, recovering from colds, or working, so I had to go by myself.  The class was cool, and I worked up a good sweat.

 As always, I gain lots of insight from attending classes with instructors other than Alex and marvel in the different approaches and energies that instructors bring.  I think it's because I'm a teacher too.  I'm very interested in how Zumba teachers (or all group fitness instructors, for that matter) motivate students and how they impart their knowledge and craft.  Because the fitness industry is so big and there is a tension between standardized instruction and individualized flair (or "flava" to quote Alex, haha), I wonder how these instructors build followings, challenge themselves, and evolve within their careers.  What draws people to fitness as a vocation, as a calling?

 Aside from all of this, I was happy to meet a new group of women.  I've been struggling with some facets of my fitness community, so it was good to get out and meet some new faces.  It was really nice to be in a room where no one knew me.  I'm definitely going to go back with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment