Friday, August 14, 2015

Unbothered Day 14: "there are no bridges"


When I first decided to start this Black feminist fitness project, I had no idea what I was doing.  I'm not a personal trainer or a dietician; I'm a fat athlete sharing what I've learned about radical self-love, the transformational power of Black feminism, and the importance of living a joyful life of service.  I started out with a message that I wanted to share but little knowledge about how to create the project.  I reached out to queer Black troublemaker Sista Docta Lex aka Dr. Alexis Pauline Gumbs for a strategy session.  

Since then I've successfully launched the Unbothered series, published my first website, made contacts in the plus size fitness and body positivity worlds, made concrete steps towards fitness certifications, organized a body-positive beach day event, and led my first workshop on feminist fitness.  Next week I'll launch my YouTube channel and figure out Periscope.  

I still don't know exactly what I'm doing, but I'm pleasantly surprised by what I've been able to accomplish in such a short time.  With every step I'm getting closer to my dream of designing an inclusive fitness space, and the good news is that I'm building the bridges that I desire.  While I don't look or sound like any fitness professional I've ever met (and this makes my project lonely in some ways), I'm still moving forward.

It can be really hard trying something new and not having a map.  I used to think that if a map worked for so many other people, there must be something wrong with me if I'm dissatisfied with it. Then Black feminists reminded me that these maps weren't made with me and mine in mind.  Time to forge my own!

Thought For Today:  What am I moving towards?  Sometimes we need help figuring out the first step (or the next step!)  Could I ask for help?  

If you want to talk about your first or next step, drop me a line!  blackfeministfitness@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment