Monday, August 24, 2015

Unbothered Day 24: "No person is your friend who...denies your right to grow."

Today's post is all about making friends and building community.  I'm a HUGE believer in the power of groups.  I love hearing other people's viewpoints, working together towards common goals, and celebrating team victories.  If there is a logo that we can put on a shirt or hat to rep our squad, even better!!  

In the Healthy Homies group, I reported that I did well with last week's tiny goal of biking to the gym unless it was raining.  I only had to drive to the gym twice.  This week I set a goal of having seafood for dinner every night.  My semester starts next week,  and I need some quick dinner recipes. I'm also a little bored with chicken.  Having that space to declare my intention for the week is important to me.  (Let me know if you want to join us.)  

A good fitness buddy/community member supports your desires to make goals and work towards them.  For me, that means that I'll show up to your competition dressed in your favorite colors with a sign and a cheer.  I'll be your texting partner if you need help negotiating a stressful food situation.  I'll recommend books or videos if you ask for them.  (*I am not a concern troller and do not give unwanted health advice!)  I'll tell you how much I love you and how much I love seeing you feel proud of yourself. 



A good fitness buddy will carry the banner alongside you.  Because they love you, they understand how important it is to keep you around.  They encourage you on days when you're just not feeling it and help you come up with new solutions to old problems.  They offer to go for a walk with you or send funny Snapchats for you to giggle at while on the recumbent bike.  They interrupt fat shamers and spread body positivity and acceptance because they know that the love they feel for you can't exist alongside disdain for other people's bodies.  They remind you that your best has always been good enough. 



Alex is my fitness buddy.  She's also the instructor for most of my classes and my best good girlfriend.  Just about every Sunday we exchange intentions for the week, and for the last year and a half, it's been a blast.   I adore being in community with her because we have different strengths and challenges.  We don't pretend that we have the same goals when it comes to strength, endurance, stamina, flexibility, nutrition etc.  Therefore we don't have a cookie cutter approach when it comes to wellness.  mmm cookies  We work hard on our own things and keep it very cute while doing so.  She doesn't try to get me to do what she's doing, and I don't do that to her.  It's nice to have someone to tell you "Good job!" when you achieve something you've been working towards.  I just love her!!


With a little bit of work you too can find a person or group of people whom you want to see succeed as much as you want to succeed yourself. These people will help you make it to that 7am barre class, that 5:45am CrossFit WOD, or that bikram class you've been meaning to attend.  They'll double tap your gym selfies and like your Strava reports. They might be in your Zumba class or live in a different part of the country.  If you find that you're struggling, consider using the power of friendship to help you out.  I'm here if you need a pal!

Every time I go to Chicago, I attend this particular Zumba class.
I've been twice.  These women are my buddies!



Thought For Today:  Could I benefit from some fitness friendships?   



These are my squad goals.  ps: You need to read This Bridge Called My Back!
If you have an awesome person in your life who does incredible things, let them know it!  I bet they'd love to get a shout out from you.  If you make matching shirts, y'all really winning up in here!!

Have a wonderful day, friend!!


No comments:

Post a Comment