Saturday, August 29, 2015

Unbothered Day 29: Spartan Up!

I told my physical therapists that I would be careful, so they have given me the greenish yellow light to go to tomorrow's race!  That makes me really happy.  I did my first Spartan race a little over a year ago. Never thought I'd not only finish this race, but go on to do a whole bunch more.   Now that I've done more of them, I want to introduce other fat folks to the world of obstacle course racing.  


My first Spartan medal!

I thought that Spartan races were only for muscular fast people, but I was wrong!  On the Spartan race course, you will find a diverse crowd of people with varying abilities.   I haven't seen many other fat black women out there, but when I do see them,  I get hyped.  I like that we're out there changing the face of the sport.  

Working on Spartan Double Trifecta (August 2015)
My first obstacle course race was Dirty Girl (July 2014)

Thought For Today:  When I think of things like marathons, Ironman triathlons, powerlifting meets, Zumba classes, yoga classes, etc., do I envision them being filled with people who look like me?

I'm going to add a new segment on my website where you can see my upcoming races and events. That way you can join me if you want a buddy or if you want to know more about it.

In the spirit of trying new things, I'm happy to announce a new video series on my YouTube channel. (See what I did there?  I went from posting one video last week and now I'm announcing a new series. Remember what I said about making scary goals?  That's one way I get stuff done!)  




"Girl, You Tried It!" (I tweaked the name) will be a monthly video series (with a few periodic bonus videos) where I show up fat to a bunch of new activities and report back on how it goes.  You'll get to see how I live out my fat fitness, and let's fact it, we'll have some laughs.  Sometimes the activity will go well, and sometimes I'm sure I'll be left saying, "Girl, you tried it," to the instructor/coach.  So far I'm thinking of the following:

  • indoor rock climbing
  • snowboarding
  • kayaking
  • bikram (I've done this before, but I haven't been in a while.)
  • aerial dance
  • Pilates
  • ropes course
  • Capoeira
  • circus fitness
  • stair workout
If you have an idea for something you'd like me to try, drop me a line!  Also, if you're digging what you see here, catch me on social media.  

"Wrong Is Not My Name: Black Feminist Fitness"
Facebook: www.facebook.com/blackfeministfitness
Instagram: blackfeministfitness
Twitter & Periscope: feministfitness

No comments:

Post a Comment