Friday, August 7, 2015

Unbothered Day 7: "even if I do not say what I have to say perfectly"



Unbothered has been going for a week, and I'm really grateful for all of you who have shared my posts or written notes saying that you're enjoying them.  I think I mentioned that I'm writing a book, so if you see these ideas again in a few years, remember that we kicked it together here first.

 I got lots of responses to the pictures I posted yesterday from people declaring that I look fit and strong to others saying they wish they had my positive attitude and confidence.  Girl, all this can be yours for the low low price of $00.00!  If you want help, drop me a line.  What seems like confidence comes from what Audre Lorde talks about here.  I raise my voice on issues central to my existence (like fitness) knowing full and damn well that most people don't want to hear from a fat Black woman when it comes to fitness.  That's cool because when I write or speak I'm talking to someone like me, a person who wants to hear and engage. 

 When I first started thinking about making movement a priority, I desperately wanted to talk to someone I could relate to.  I don't just mean that I wanted to talk to a Black woman or a fat woman; I wanted to learn from someone who could be honest and vulnerable about their own struggles.  I still like hearing stories from people who are working to reach their goals and being a mess while doing so, and now these are the things that I feel I have to say.  In that spirit, here are a few things that I'm jacking up right now.  Feel free to laugh and/or roll your eyes.  

  1. I have a CrossFit competition tomorrow morning and I have yet to review the WODS (workout of the day).  I think I remember looking at them a while ago, but ummm...
  2. I have a Punk Rope certification in NYC on Sunday.  I haven't jumped rope in a while and should probably figure out where I'm parking my car.
  3. Next Saturday is my first sprint triathlon, and despite making this a goal every week, I still don't know how to change a flat tire.  I haven't done any open water swim practice (I have to swim a third of a mile in a lake) and a couple of days ago I realized that I won't have my glasses on while I swim.  HOW am I supposed to figure out where I'm going?  I'll be going to the lake next week.  Luckily I can kinda run (ok, not really), so the third part of the triathlon should be cute.  
  4. Last night while driving home I said out loud, "Hold up.  I think have a Spartan race at the end of this month."

I'm glad that I refuse to be silenced about my experiences with my activities.  I don't have to be perfect, and neither do you.  (ok, stop rolling your eyes now.  I'm for real about to straighten up and fly right! tee hee)


Thought For Today:  What do you have to say?







No comments:

Post a Comment